Only time is REAL with Autism

When you have a child on the Autism spectrum, time moves really fast. It's one challenge after another, and as you deal you almost forget that your child is growing and learning and becoming. Sometimes I get caught up just trying to impart a new skill to my son, and before I know it, tada! Another birthday has come and gone. Brian is 6years old now and It's been almost 2 years since my last blog. So what's been holding me back? Nothing! Well, between COVID and homeschooling 2 children while I juggle a full time job , the home front and probono work in the disability space, absolutely nothing! It was just life and struggles and time passing by. I better slow it down, YOU better slow it down because before we know it our children are teenagers, then adults and we wonder where the time has gone and how we missed everything trying to impart skills! So I've decided to try something new to cheat time, I’ve decided to spend just 5 minutes a day everyday cherishing a moment with my “Strange little boy” and having that time freeze. Like really be in the moment with him. Look at him, see how much he’s growing, how much he’s learned, how far he’s come, how far he will grow and how great he’s going to be. In this moment, I will speak words of courage and encouragement to him and bless him, pray for him, because I know he’s as scared and unsure and confused as I am sometimes and because I know he’s just a beautiful person finding his way and his place and his space in life. I believe if I do this I will keep time from passing too fast, and I will remember why I wanted to be mum, I will be braver, more secure and patient, wiser and stronger, more resilient and more at peace on this journey with a magnificent soul and very special person who I wouldn’t trade for the world. STAY SAFE GUYS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistic Rembrandts - 1

Practical tips for parents suspecting an Autism Diagnosis